Genealogy and DNA testing

Discussions about genealogy. Questions, searches, interesting links etc.
Sibuli

Genealogy and DNA testing

Viesti Kirjoittaja Sibuli » 19.03.2014 21:44

Hello,

I wonder if here's anyone (either Finnish or a foreigner) who has sent their DNA sample to FTDNA, the United States? I just did this last week and I'm curious about how long does it usually take to receive the results (I know this is very early stage to ask, but just to know how long should it approximately take, not that I would wonder where they are yet...)? And will I get them to my e-mail or also by post?

As I'm a woman, I can unfortunately only receive information about my direct maternal family line's geographical background. But despite of it, I'm waiting for the results with great curiosity. As far as I know, my direct maternal line leads to Ladoga Karelia, so I suppose the result for the geographical origin might be Russia/Eurasia. How about you, if you have done the test, which region did it determine as your ancestral origin?

EevaH

Re: Genealogy and DNA testing

Viesti Kirjoittaja EevaH » 23.03.2014 00:55

Yes, I sent my husband's sample and it took 3-4 weeks to get the results. It came in email, sample code & password to go to the result page. There you'll find a chart of your DNA results and a list of any tested persons whose DNA is near to yours (in terms of less markers) and their oldest known ancestors. Later on you'll also get notes when someone with a similar sample as yours has made the test.

Sibuli

Re: Genealogy and DNA testing

Viesti Kirjoittaja Sibuli » 26.03.2014 10:59

Thank you for the clarification. Today I received the link and password to the page where the results will later be posted, so my process also seems to be in a normal timetable. At first I was a little suspicious about how long it might take because my ex boyfriend who had done the similar genetic analysis of his ancestral background (and about the risk level for possible genetic diseases) via another website had told me that for him it took very long time to get the results, probably 4 or 5 months. He explained that it was because of some new US law issues, but I don't remember anymore why there was a problem with it. I think it probably depends on where you order it then because his test costed all together (also with the genetic disease risk analysis) almost 200 euros less than the Y & mtDNA test alone that they offer for men in the place where I ordered my mtDNA test. But personally I trust more the FTDNA although its pretty expensive and I'm happy that their results arrive relatively quickly.

Vastaa Viestiin