My grand mother was an extramarital birth.

Discussions about genealogy. Questions, searches, interesting links etc.
Katie

My grand mother was an extramarital birth.

Viesti Kirjoittaja Katie » 15.03.2015 07:58

My grandmother's birth registry showed she was an extramarital birth or mother was not married. 3 years later Alma Hanna Allina's (my grand-mother) mother (Maria) married and it was during 1885 that Maria, her husband (Lars Pulju) and Alma along with Maria's parents immigrated to America in 1885. Maria and Lars married 10 Feb 1883.
We do not have a guarantee that Lars is Alma's biological father - nor do we have one that says he is not. He has always been loved and cherished as Grand-pa and, in fact, it wasn't until I found Alma's original birth registry and baptism in FFHA that shows no name of a father that this came to light. Alma is listed in a communion book entry along with Maria and Lars later on which would have a person think that he may be the father or he adopted Alma.
Question: what would be the normal practice of giving an extramarital child the last name of the man her mother married, whether he is biological or adopted father. Are there documents to be filled out asking for a name change for the child or can the married couple just add a last name to the child on documents. Are there legalities Alma and Lars must meet, such as filing with a court to legalizing Alma's last name with a last name. These legalities would have been in Simo, Lappi
I have a cousin, his wife, his daughter and his grand daughter visiting Finland in May and they may be able to visit specific governmental agencies, churches, or on line archives I could research regarding Alma and her state of legality to her father.
Any advice would be most appreciated.
Thank You
Janice Horton
Liitteet
Communon book showing Alma with her parents.JPG
About 2nd entry down that shows years for parents 60 and 60 then daughter 80
Communon book showing Alma with her parents.JPG (84.59 KiB) Katsottu 6193 kertaa
Alma English translation of birth registry and baptism 1880.JPG
Alma was born 18Oct1880 Simo and Christend 21Jan1881 Simo
Alma English translation of birth registry and baptism 1880.JPG (60 KiB) Katsottu 6193 kertaa

Katie

Re: My grand mother was an extramarital birth.

Viesti Kirjoittaja Katie » 29.03.2015 21:13

I have not yet received a reply to this post. I am interested to know what, if any, the legalities would be for a child born out of wedlock to be given the name of her step-father during the late 19th century. Would a church communion service be sufficient or is there a legal process that would have to be presented before the courts to give the child a last name. How strict was it for the child to receive what would be considered a legal last name.
Please advise
Thank You
Janice Horton

jani
Ylläpitäjä

Viesti Kirjoittaja jani » 31.03.2015 02:39

Prior to 1921 there were no "legal" last names in Finland. Parts of Finland did use last names, but you weren't required to use one. The last name law was passed in 1920 and by 1921 everyone needed to choose a last name.

Priests started to write down last names in the communion books in the late 19th century. Usually all children got the same last name, even if they were from the wife's previous marriage (or illegitimate children). The people might not have even been aware that they had last names in the communion books.

In the Simo books, I see no last names, but the fact that there's no mention of illegitimacy lends some credence to the theory that Lauri was the father and recognized Alma Hanna Aliina (on the Ruonakoski page she is "avt t.", illegitimate daughter). I can't say anything for sure since I'm not that familiar with Simo books.
----- Jani Koski -----

Katie

Viesti Kirjoittaja Katie » 31.03.2015 02:57

Thanks Jani for getting back to me.
What you said is the way I was leaning and that in the 1800's there were no formal legalities to applying a last name to an extra marital child. Always one mystery in every family.
Thanks again for getting back to me.
Janice

Vastaa Viestiin