Vilages Wuocki and Vuokki

Discussions about genealogy. Questions, searches, interesting links etc.
Katie

Vilages Wuocki and Vuokki

Viesti Kirjoittaja Katie » 25.12.2017 02:19

I seem to be finding some records that make me doubt exactly where the event happened. It happens in Oulu. Would this be correct: Village/Farm Wuocki belongs in Paltamo records and Village/Farm Vuokki belongs in Suomussalmi records. I have some confusing entries that I made some time back and if these two places are separate then I can go back and update those record by confirming they are in the correct area, Paltamo or Suomussalmi.
Thank You,
Janice

Luonski

Re: Vilages Wuocki and Vuokki

Viesti Kirjoittaja Luonski » 26.12.2017 13:54

Vuokki (or Wuocki written in the oldfashion way) seems to be nowadays a village which is part of Suomussalmi parish. Suomussalmi used to be part of Hyrynsalmi parish which was part of Paltamo parish until 1786. Unfortunately I do not know the area any better, just the basics of the history. Before Paltamo parish (about 1500's) the area would have been part of Oulu lake area and belong to Liminka (Limingo) parish.

Katie

Re: Vilages Wuocki and Vuokki

Viesti Kirjoittaja Katie » 26.12.2017 20:11

Thank you Luonski for getting back to me on this. It's a little confusing. What I do is I first try to find the English version in Hiski and if it's there I go to FFHA records and find it and the person is in Paltamo or Suomussalmi (both Vuokki and Wuocki) so I'll just use what ever I find and know that the FFHA takes precedent and I'll use it. Sometimes overthinking causes confusion.
Thank you again I appreciate your help.
Janice

Vastaa Viestiin